Wednesday, March 25, 2009

#3: Croc Hunt, Rain-Forest, Beach... The End.

This is me in a shop in Cairns.. I'd like to think that I look like a real Australian!




After the Wildlife Preserve, we took a little drive up the mountain and hopped on this boat for a Crocodile Hunt!  Our guide talked just like Crocodile Dundee and was pointing out various things, the first being this green tree frog.  He said some special stuff about it.. that I cannot recall right now, but it was definitely green and in a tree.  It had been a very long day and I, along with that girl in the picture, took advantage of the boat ride and took a little nap!
















Unfortunately, we only ended up seeing 1 Crocodile on our boat ride (they were hiding from us I guess) ... but I took these pictures of the Crocodiles at the Wildlife Preserve.   




















After the Croc Hunt we got back on the bus and traveled further up the mountain into the tropical rain-forest.  We first hiked up to a lookout point and I dropped 2 batteries out of my camera down a ravine and into a river.  Hopefully they won't leak out and spoil the fresh water, I was kind of worried about that for a few minutes.  This is us on the trail, it was incredibly humid and we all look pretty gross.

We then hiked back down to the river and were able to swim in the freezing water, which felt great because we were so hot.  The current was fairly strong in the river, but some of us made it over to this rock that we climbed on.  We were also able to swim upstream a little bit further and go down this waterfall type thing.


We ended this long (but great) day by going to the beach.  You couldn't swim in it because of the box jellyfish, but we enjoyed just walking around and taking some 'jumping pictures'.






    On the morning of our flight, a few of us went into the town of Cairns and got some breakfast.  We wanted to see the Lagoon that is in the middle of the city.. this is a picture of it.  You can see how it starts as a water fountain, and then progresses into a swimming pool, and finally to the ocean.  It would be a fun spot to spend the day!   

After the lagoon, we went back to our hostel for the last time, took a bus to the airport, and flew back to Sydney.  When I got home I threw all of my luggage down and studied for 2 straight days for an Economics test that I had.  I ended up doing pretty well on it, but I realized that school is just getting in the way of these other, more important, other things that I am doing (just kidding of course).  Finally though, two days later, I was able to unpack and do some laundry.  I loved the Great Barrier Reef and Cairns and would definitely recommend it to anyone!

                                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment